Yoga Teacher Training in Costa Rica
April 1-29th, 2019
This Yoga Alliance 200 hour RYS registered program is offered in an intensive immersion format of 29 consecutive days, in the beauty of Costa Rica. The program is offered as all inclusive with organic plant based meals and accommodation included.
The focus of this training will be how to safely practice and teach Hatha Vinyasa Yoga, meaning the fluid and purposeful integration of breath and movement, while integrating Raja Yoga and the science of Ayurveda. You will gain an understanding of Ayurveda, proper alignment for asana including sun salutations for all levels, creative and intelligent sequencing, sequencing based on Ayurveda, how to enhance postures with hands-on adjustments, how to incorporate effective mantra, meditation and pranayama into your class, how to use props, and how to work with special populations-such as prenatal clients.
The program is created on a four week schedule to allow for some unstructured free time over the weekends so you can explore the nearby beaches, waterfalls and hiking trails, take a surf or paddleboard lesson, receive a massage with Jessica; or simply relax by the pool while catching up on reading and writing. Class size is strictly limited to 6 students in one training. The course includes karma seva- service in action to learn more about the Costa Rican culture and it relies heavily on direct experience to help the students understand and convey the theory sustaining yoga philosophy and ethics.
This teacher training program is rich in the wisdom of classical Yoga and Ayurveda and based on the premise of deeper immersion into traditional yoga therapy and Ayurvedic health practices. The integration of Yoga and Ayurveda brings out the complete healing potential of Yoga and the complete spiritual potential of Ayurveda. In this hands on training we will focus on the practical application of these ancient traditions as inherent synergistic healing systems. Used together they form an ideal path to total health, wellbeing and self realization for body mind and consciousness.
As an Ayurveda Practitioner and massage therapist, Jessica’s style of teaching is sourced from western and eastern anatomy, alignment and Ayurveda. She’s inspired to help you master your unique constitution and connect to the healer and teacher within. Her teachings are woven with inspiration and wisdom that helps students of yoga master their unique constitution and channel the healer and teacher within. Ayurveda is based totally upon the knowledge of “prakruti”, the individual constitution. If every individual knows their mind-body constitution, then one can understand what is the optimal diet, lifestyle, and yoga practices for oneself to create a happy balanced life.
This program is perfect for aspiring teachers and students of yoga who wish to deepen their practice and understanding of themselves, Yoga and Ayurveda.
• 29 days of instruction and 28 nights of all inclusive completely private beachside accommodation
• 3 organic plant based meals a day; breakfast, lunch and dinner
• Organic Costa Rican coffee, herbal teas & tropical smoothies
• Daily Ayurveda lectures, yoga practices and meditation sessions
• Two 1 hour personal Ayurvedic Consultations with Jessica
• Day trip to the Nauyaca waterfalls the largest most beautiful in the area
• Yoga Teacher Training Manual
- DATES TUITION LOCATION
DATES / TIMES
April 1-29th, 2019 training
7:00am to 5:30pm
Sundays are a rest/free day
Tuition deadlines *based on double occupancy:
Earlybird registration by January 16th, 2019: $4880
Regular pricing thereafter: $5380
Non-refundable deposit of $1000 due upon acceptance.
Full tuition due by March 16th, 2019
Payment plans available by request.
Hosted at a villa in Esterillos, Costa Rica
During this yoga teacher training, you will stay at our own private beach side villa, located on the central Pacific of Costa Rica. This beautiful peaceful villa offers our students accommodation on a pristine secluded beach in Playa Esterillos, Puntarenas; where we will be nourished with organic local meals created with love by our own private chef.
There are limited spaces available for this intimate group training and there is only one bedroom available as single occupancy (for an additional cost of $1000 USD) while the other rooms offer double occupancy with queen size beds and all come with new linens, including towels. Housekeeping service for the rooms and laundry service for the linens is included and a laundry service for personal clothing is offered once per week (or more if needed-at a small additional cost). There are several tranquil areas on site as well as miles of jungle and beach trails for the students to hike, to practice and to enjoy their meditations. Our beach front location, we practice on a our villas deck, literally in front of the beach looking out to the Pacific ocean and up to the Macaws and Toucans flying overhead. All yoga mats, blocks, yoga belts, and cushions for the students are provided.
Monday to Saturday 7:00am to 5:30pm / Sundays are a rest/free day
06:30 Light organic breakfast
07:00 Morning sadhana: yoga, meditation, pranayama and discussion of the practice
09:30 Organic breakfast
11:00 Training session
14:00 Organic lunch
16:00 Training session
18:00 Organic dinner
*During your free time you may explore the kms of beaches and trails nearby, relax, or book a massage or other Ayurvedic treatment with Jessica! We reserve the right to adjust this schedule based on weather and other incidentals*
1. Yoga techniques & practice: understanding the La Vida Veda Ayurveda and Yoga practice
• Principles of alignment and asana
• Introduction to pranayama (breathing techniques)
• Introduction to meditation techniques
• Pratyahara and meditation as healing tools
• Introduction to Sanskrit terminology
2. Teaching methodology: the basics of yoga instruction
• Principles of demonstration, observation, assisting, and adjusting
• Practice of hands-on adjustments and verbal instruction skills
• Principles of safe and effective sequencing
• Ayurvedic yoga sequences, and the foundational concepts of the science of Ayurveda. Vata, Pitta and Kapha balancing asana, pranayama and meditation techniques
• Introduction to therapeutic sequencing; how to encourage balance of the doshas- the mind body constitution of the individual and any current constitutional imbalances
• Discussion on teaching and instruction styles
• Introduction to the basics of the business of yoga
3. Anatomy & physiology: the physical and energetic bodies
• Physical anatomy and physiology with Jessica Kruse and doctor of Chiropractic medicine, Mike Textor
• Introduction to connective tissue and exploration of key muscle groups and bony landmarks
• Introduction to an Ayurvedic perspective on physical and energetic anatomy and physiology
• Thorough introduction to the tridosha; Vata, Pitta and Kapha
• Introduction to the energetic effects of asana and meditation
• Introduction to bandhas, chakras, gunas, koshas, nadis, vayus
• Introduction to the marma points of Ayurveda
• Basic diagnostic skills according to the prakruti/vikruti paradigm of Ayurveda
4. Yoga philosophy, lifestyle, and ethics: living Yoga
• Study and discussion of Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras and the 8-limbed path
• Discussion of The Hatha Yoga Pradipika
• Discussion of Ayurveda for Self Healing
• Dinacharya and Rutucharya- the Ayurveda daily routine and seasonal lifestyle
• Introduction to yogic nutrition, diet and with Ayurveda cooking classes
Required material: Book list
Please purchase the following yoga texts for your teaching training. *Please note that the Yoga Sutras and the Hatha Yoga Pradipika have numerous translations; the translation which is used and recommended by Jessica for the teacher training is listed below.
The Key Muscles of Yoga (Volume 1), by Ray Long
Hatha Yoga Pradipika, by Swami Muktibodhananda
The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, by Swami Satchidananda
Light on Pranayama, by B.K.S. Iyengar
The Heart of Yoga, by TKV Desikachar
Ayurveda; The Science of Self Healing, by Dr. Vasant Lad
Yoga Teachers’ Toolbox by Joseph Le Page and Lilian Le Page
The following are additional resources which we feel are a complement to your training but are not required for the program.
Prakruti, Dr. Robert Svoboda
The Anatomy of the Spirit, Dr. Caroline Myss
The Language of Yoga: Complete A to Z Guide to Asana, Names, Sanskrit Terms and Chants, Nicolai Bachman
WHAT IS THE CANCELLATION POLICY?
Deposits are non-refundable always. Once the training commences, there are no refunds for the remainder of any payments for the training, only a credit towards a subsequent La Vida Veda Ayurveda and Yoga teacher training.
WHERE CAN I ATTEND AN INFORMATION SESSION?
Info sessions are generally held prior to the commencement of each program. Please check our workshops page closer to the approaching date or contact us to find out more.
WILL I BE QUALIFIED TO TEACH YOGA ONCE I COMPLETE MY 200 HOURS?
Absolutely! This La Vida Veda Ayurveda and Yoga teacher training program is designed to get you started on your teaching path. Jessica Kruse’s 200 hour program will give you the tools and the skills necessary to become a proficient Hatha Yoga teacher. You will be able to register with the Yoga Alliance as long as you have completed the entire 200 hours.
WHAT IS THE YOGA ALLIANCE?
The Yoga Alliance was formed in 1999 to recognize and promote teachers that maintain a specific standard with the Alliance. The La Vida Veda Ayurveda and Yoga School is a registered and recognized school and all graduates of the La Vida Veda Ayurveda and Yoga teacher training program are automatically eligible to register with the Yoga Alliance as an RYT.
WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS TO APPLY?
It is suggested that you have had a regular yoga practice for at least one or two years, and we always say the more experience the better. Application can be completed and submitted via our online form, we also require a reference letter with application.
WHAT IF I MISS A CLASS?
To obtain your certificate you must complete 100% of the training in compliance with the the Yoga Alliance standards. At La Vida Veda Ayurveda and Yoga School we understand things come up and you might have to miss a class.
OUR POLICY FOR MAKE UP TIME: If you miss a class or weekend, in order to complete the program you will need to make up the equivalent time in a subsequent teacher training. You will not receive your certification until you have completed the make up session.
WHERE DO I PURCHASE BOOKS REQUIRED FOR THE TRAINING?
Some of the required books can be purchased at your local bookstore or studio hosting the teacher training. Many people purchase these books off amazon.com; be sure to check our reading list for the correct translation of each book.